Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lombok and Bali

Located just east of Java are two of Indonesia's most glorious islands, Bali and Lombok. This summer some friends and I were able to spend almost 2 weeks between both of these islands. My friends and I helped with a youth program in Lombok and had the privilege of stopping in Bali on our way home. For several days we spent time with Balinese friends as they took us around the city. For 4 days I was surrounded by the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. Within the last 6 years Bali has been the target for 2 separate terrorist attacks killing over 200 people. As Bali may be seen by the world as "a top vacation spot" or a place of fantasy and idealism, it is apparent even in places like this how far man has actually fallen.

I hope you enjoy the pics from our journeys!!!

Nice shirt, huh? This is in Lombok during low tide.


Our group hanging out in Bali!


Playing with some monkeys! Though these cute, furry little things look friendly... don't be deceived. On another occasion I tapped one with a stick and truly feared for my life as he attacked me. I bet you didn't know that little monkeys like these have fangs.


One of the things that I loved about Lombok and Bali was that our needs were always taken care of. Because of these places being heavily populated tourist areas folks like these walk around and offer to sell just about anything you can imagine, from pineapple to cigarette lighters with a cool built in flashlight (I'll show you when I get home). Maybe it is the "business man" within me, but I love to bargain with the sellers. Here I am in action, trying to get the price that I want. If you are a good bargainer sometimes the process will take up to half an hour.


I don't like to brag, but sometimes I can even get them to throw in an item for free. I'm pretty sure the term, "more than I bargained for" got started in Indonesia.... she gave me her daughter!!!


Most of Indonesia's Hindus live in Bali. This is one of the many holy sites and places of worship.


One of the more popular beaches in Bali.


Another candidate for picture of the year. This is a picture of some Sasak fisherman in Lombok.


This is actually a shot from the hotel we stayed at during the youth conference in Lombok.