Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Recent Floods

This picture is from a recent flood here in my hometown. It was about 2 miles from my home, and fortunately the flooding didn't affect my house. We heard it was the worst flooding in the town in almost 20 years. I received some special advice from Stesha right before I left to be sure and wear my helmet at all times, and I took her advice! Helmets also work as floating devices.

He probably should have taken the detour.


This, and the next few pictures are from another flood right around the same time in a neighboring city. The guy in the green jacket is pointing the stain that the water left on the walls. He lives here in my town, and this is his parents house.


Here is a shot after gettin' down and dirty. About a half inch of mud was left on all the floors and furniture. The kid in the middle is Dennis, I got to meet him a few years ago on my first trip. He is probably the coolest kid in all of Indonesia.


This last photo is looking out from the front porch. All the furniture and belongings had to taken out and scrubbed down. It was quite a mess, but we actually made a lot of progress in that first day. All in all I have not ceased to be amazed at the lives on Indonesians. My initial reaction to the mess was that they would have to destroy everything and rebuild (my American mentality, I guess). Disasters such as these have become a way of life for Indonesians. They just deal with them and press on. I can't help but be humbled in situations like these.