Wednesday, April 30, 2008

23rd Birthday Bash!!!

Just yesterday I celebrated my 23rd birthday here in Indonesia! Overall, it was a pretty sweet day of spending time with friends and continuing to experience more of Indonesia's intriguing culture. It was my first b-day celebrated away from home... and though I am 10,000 miles away and sometimes feel like it is more like 20, it is days like yesterday that make me feel right at home. Indonesian people, as I have noticed, are some of the warmest, genuine people I have ever met. Through so many aspects of their culture, it is evident that the value of the individual and importance of the relationship is often held above all else. Through a surprise breakfast in the morning, a cake made by my neighbor, a gift package received in the mail from another part of Indonesia and finally, topping it off with a small party in the evening... it is safe to say I felt a great sense of blessing from new family and friends. Let me walk you through my day.

This is what I woke up to yesterday morning; french toast, hot coffee, a mini cake and a center piece made of bananas (a nice touch by Jordan).

Here is a look at some fine Indonesian cuisine. Can you guess whats what? I probably won't be able to tell you... but is sure tastes good!

This is the group from the party. It is a mix of friends from my high school, soccer team, roommates and some that I met from my trip here two years ago!

This yellow, decorated, mountain-like creation is actually rice. It is usually specially made for birthdays (similar to a b-day cake) in Indonesia. Don't be too jealous, I will make one for your next birthday when I get home.

This is me cutting off the peak of the yellow mountain of rice while everyone else looks on with great anticipation! Within this Indonesian tradition, the next step is to give the peak to a "special" someone at the party. Since my mom wasn't there I opted to gave it to a friend.

Playing some chess and rockin' the guitar! Now that is my idea of a good birthday party!